What's Your Health Worth?
Published on 13th May 2019
It’s fairly safe to say that we all “value” our health; but how much is yours worth to you? Most people know the value of their house, their car, their bank accounts – and if they don’t then there’s probably an App that can work it out for them! But how do you go about valuing your health? There’s an App to tell you your heart rate, one for your blood pressure, another will track your exercise and calorie intake but none of them will put a value on your health.
Your health allows you to earn £xxxxx per year (that’s easy to calculate). Being healthy means you can participate in your favourite sports and activities (hmm not so easy to calculate). What about the time you spend with your loved ones (impossible to put a value on that!)? Without your health these things would no longer be possible; so maybe that makes your health invaluable?!
If our health is so valuable that it is impossible to put a price on it, why do we take it for granted? Why do we find it so difficult to prioritise our health over other things? Experts believe that up to 90% of the risk factors associated with diseases that we often blame on aging are, in fact, related to nutrition and lifestyle choices.
These are our top tips for valuing your health:
- Eat Your Greens! Your Mother was right – eating your greens will keep you strong and is associated with reducing the risk of developing some cancers. There are dozens of Apps for this! Even for those people who are not veggie fans, the internet houses literally thousands of recipes, such as garlic roasted cabbage wedges, to tempt the taste buds of even the fussiest eaters.
- Get A Move On! Exercise doesn’t have to involve hefty gym memberships and getting red-faced and sweaty. Any activity that raises your heart rate will do! Exercise is believed to reduce the biomarkers of aging, including improving eyesight, normalising blood pressure, improving lean muscle, lowering cholesterol and improving bone density.
- Always Look on the Bright Side! Thinking positively can help build a strong immune system and boost your overall health. Spending just 10 minutes a day thinking about the people and things we are grateful for in our lives can give you a huge boost.
- You Need Your Beauty Sleep! Getting a good night’s rest reduces stress levels and gives your brain time to “download” and process the day’s events (and there are lots of Apps for that!)
- Have Fun! Don’t forget to do the things that nurture your soul and bring you pleasure. Spend time with people who make you smile!
- Think Small! Often the biggest deterrent is feeling overwhelmed by the idea of tackling health issues. Start by focusing on one small change and build from there.
In the words of Joyce Meyer, the American author, “The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you”. Now that truly is a priceless gift!
Add your comments | Subscribe | View all