How to get the most out of your next massage………
When you book a massage treatment you are investing both your time and your money in yourself – both of which are likely to have been hard-earned! So, how can you get the most out of your investment? Our therapists have put together their top tips for getting the most from your massage appointment.
- Don’t be late! Your therapist is working to a tight schedule and if you turn up late you are eating into your precious treatment time. Also if you arrive in a mad rush, out of breath and anxious it may well take the first 10 minutes or so of treatment time for you to relax. If you aim to arrive 5 or 10 minutes early you will have time to switch off from the day’s activities, take a few deep, slow breaths and centre yourself ready for your treatment.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Try and wear something loose fitting for a couple of hours before your treatment so that you don’t have lines or swelling from tight clothing around your ankles, wrists or waist. Make sure you are wearing clothing that allows the therapist to easily access the areas being massaged.
- Don’t eat a big meal immediately prior to your appointment. A full stomach can feel very uncomfortable when having a massage – especially if you are lying face down.
- Talk to your therapist. Your therapist is there to help you. He/she wants offer you the best possible treatment that they can. The more information you provide to your therapist, the better placed they are to deliver the right treatment for you. Keep your therapist informed of any changes in your health or prescription medication. If you feel cold during a massage, or if you need to change position – tell your therapist. Likewise if you would like more/less pressure in certain areas; telling your therapist helps to ensure that you receive the perfect treatment.
- Work with your therapist. Try to relax the areas being worked on. If you tense your muscles it will make the massage harder for you and harder for the therapist. Just relax and go with it – and don’t forget to breathe!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you are unsure about anything at all please ask, either during the treatment or beforehand. We are often asked “what should I wear?” “will I be able to exercise immediately after my treatment?” Both your therapist and our friendly receptionists are more than happy to answer any questions.
- Book your next appointment before you leave. Booking your next appointment not only ensures that you get the therapist you want at the time that suits you; it also means that you have prebooked some “me” time. This precious time gives you the chance to relax and regroup both physically and mentally, leaving you better able to cope with whatever life throws at you next. How many times have we all felt a tell-tale twinge in a muscle or the beginnings of a tension headache and suddenly realised it’s 3 months since our last treatment?
- Shake things up a bit! If you always have the same treatment why not try something different? An Indian Head Massage maybe or a lovely, relaxing Thermal Stone Massage? Shaking things up a little can be amazingly beneficial both physically and mentally so don’t get stuck in a rut with your massages.
Finally, congratulate yourself! You are a member of a growing band of smart people who have recognised the power of regular massage on your physical and mental wellbeing. We would love to hear your own top tips for making the most out of your massage – leave us a comment or email us with your suggestions and we will be happy to pass them on!