Reducing The Risks Of Back Pain
Back pain is one of the common reasons why people visit us for Sports Therapy and Remedial Massage. Some of the commonest causes of stress and strain and therefore pain on the spine are:
- slouching in chairs
- driving in hunched positions
- incorrect posture when standing
- Lifting incorrectly
- Sleeping on unsupportive mattresses
- Being unfit - muscles not being strong enough to function correctly
Avoiding posture problems at work
If you have an office based job, are a student or spend a lot of time on the computer then chances are you’re spending hours at a time sitting at a desk. If this is the case then it’s important you follow some simple guidelines to make sure you don’t develop back problems.
Many people have no choice but to sit at a desk, if you’re one of them then why not follow these healthy tips to look after your back and avoid developing long term damage;
- Keep your body in a neutral position, with your hands, forearms and thighs parallel with the floor and your feet flat on the ground
- Make sure your chair supports your back, including the curve at the base of your spine. You should sit far back, not on the edge of the chair.
- Your head should be in line with your torso, not leaning forward
- Move around often, get up and walk around at least once an hour
- Keep items within arms reach and avoid repetitive movements
- Make sure the computer screen is at eye level, at least 20 inches away
- Don’t keep junk food at your desk, the temptation to snack is just too great!
If you stick to these guidelines chances are you will decrease the amount of stress on your back and stay pain free. For more posture advice we can offer you a tailored consultation on how you are using your body and offer treatment to support any imbalances you have with a sports therapy treatment. Why not call us to make an appointment today?