Do You Have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)?
Do the dark, gloomy days of Winter make you want to crawl under the covers and not come out again until Spring is here? If you find yourself feeling depressed and withdrawn every Winter, then you may be experiencing Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Recent research commissioned by The Weather Channel and YouGov shows that a massive 1 in 3 adults experience SAD each year as the nights draw in, and their research suggests this number is growing.
So, how do you know if you have SAD? Symptoms typically start between the ages of 18 – 30 and classically show up as:
- Feeling depressed all day, almost every day
- Losing interest in activities you previously enjoyed
- Having lower than usual energy levels
- Experiencing sleep problems
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Feeling sluggish or agitated
- Having difficulty concentrating
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs
These symptoms can affect your relationships, social life, studying, work and self-worth.
What can you do if you have SAD? The good news is that therapies such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) are effective at tackling SAD and will equip you with the tools to deal with the symptoms and get you through to Spring.
We have a team of qualified, experienced, professional therapists who can help. We offer a free, confidential chat so that you can talk to one of our therapists and find out how they can help you. This Winter we have 25% off all our Counselling services, so you pay £48.75 per hour-long session, instead of our usual price of £65.
It’s important to recognise and acknowledge that you are having problems and that you can take control. People experiencing SAD sometimes find implementing the following can help, and it’s best done early in the season rather than waiting for it to get worse.
- Take regular exercise, preferably outdoors
- Keep your Vitamin D levels topped up
- Buy a daylight lamp
- Make sure your diet is healthy and full of vitamin rich fruit and veg
- Stimulate your senses with bright colours and uplifting music
- Nurture your spirit by doing the things you love
- Implement a self-care routine
- Make the most of any daylight hours and spend time outdoors
If you need a little help in putting together a plan, then we are here to help.
"Where do I begin! I am 33 weeks pregnant and had a massage a few weeks back on Harley Stree London and it was nothing like this. Karen was so amazing, I was very relaxed and she took away my aches and pains. I slept through the entire night which has never happened throughout my pregnancy. I was on a cloud the whole day and truly thought they would have to peel me off the waiting room chair afterwards! 5***** from me, can't wait for my post pregnancy massage"