What are some of the common signs of stress?
Stress is a very complex issue and it affects everyone differently. What one person would experience as stress could be a delight for the next person. You may be very aware of the things that create pressure for you or you may be completely unaware of a reason for feeling stressed. It may be that you experience physical symptoms when you are experiencing stress, like digestive problems or headaches or breathing problems. You may not have marked physical symptoms but do experience irritability, find it difficult to concentrate and have negative thoughts including low self-esteem. Like we said, it can be complicated!
Some of the common signs of stress are:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of concentration
- Loss of self esteem
- Muscle tension
Whichever symptoms you are experiencing, there are things you can do to reduce the effect of stress.
Ways to manage stress more effectively:
- Exercise – this doesn’t mean doing a marathon, just walking around the block will help! Find an exercise buddy so you are both motivated to get outdoors on a regular basis, or join a regular class and commit to a number of sessions.
- Learn how to relax – meditation, yoga, reflexology, massage, mindfulness are all ways to help you to establish regular time to relax and counter stress.
- Learn how to manage your time so you can create some “you” time in your day. Being organised can also help to reduce pressure – make a list!
- Be realistic on how much you can achieve and try not to set too many tasks on your “To Do” list.
- Get support: Talk things through with a friend. If you find that this isn’t enough, then consider seeing a professional who is trained to help you to identify the best way forward to create positive change.