Now Available - Kinesiology Taping
Have you ever seen athletes covered in giant, coloured sticking plasters and wondered what it was? It is a bizarre fashion statement or does it have a use?
Well kinesiology taping – to give it it’s correct technical name – is indeed an extremely useful taping technique and is not used solely by athletes. If you have any events, races or competitions coming up and are carrying any injuries, then this treatment could be perfect for you!
Kinesiology tape is a thin skin-like, highly elastic, adhesive tape, which is used to benefit a variety of musculoskeletal and sports injuries as well as inflammatory conditions. This rehabilitative taping technique is used by athletes and non-athletes to aid the body’s natural healing process whilst supporting and stabilising muscles and joints without restricting the range of movement. The tape increases blood flow to muscles and joints, soothes overworked muscles and strengthens weak or fatigued muscles. It is effective at both relieving muscle pain and reducing swelling.
Taping can offer effective treatment during the rehabilitative and chronic phases of injury as well as being used as a preventative measure. Through its elastic properties and quick recoil, it can distribute forces to other nearby structures through the fascia, ligaments and bones.
It can be effectively used for:
- Alignment of fascia in the correct position. For example, it can reduce the tension in the ITB; a common injury in runners and cyclists
- Creating areas of decreased pressure that act as channels to direct waste products to the nearest lymph duct. This can be used for contact injuries or where an area is heavily bruised
- Posture Correction
- Assisting in the correct positioning of joints or bones along with sports therapy
- Reducing pain, swelling and inflammation
- Reducing pressure on damaged ligaments and tendons
Evaluation and assessment are key in the use of kinesiology tape and the Therapist will conduct a thorough consultation and assessment of the client’s condition before applying the tape to the appropriate areas. The tape is 97% cotton, hypo-allergenic and latex free. An application of kinesiology tape will usually last up to 5 days and can be removed using baby oil or by lathering with soap in the bath or shower.
Kinesiology Taping 30 mins (including assessment and application of the tape) £25
If applied during an existing massage appointment £10 extra